Medical studies in USA are worth value as it is focused on practical knowledge rather than theoretical learning. Therefore, doing MBBS in USA promised a bright career as the students have knowledge, expertise and skills gained while their academics.
If you are desirous to have an exceptional medical profession in the world, you should definitely consider MBBS in USA. MBBS in USA is termed as Doctor of Medicine (MD) and medical degrees are approved by MCC, ECFMG, WHO and MCI.
Eligibility Criteria for Admission in MBBS in USA
Students are required to fit in below eligibility criteria in order to get admission in MBBS (MD) in USA:
- You should have obtained 50% minimum marks in your 12th standard (or A-levels) from any recognized institute in your country, with majors in Biology, chemistry and Physics.
- However, in case, your percentage in 12th standard is unfortunately less, then you will be required to attempt an entrance test for the medical college admission.
- Further, if you did not study biology, chemistry and physics in your 12th standard, then you will be required to study one whole pre medical year.
- English proficiency is mandatory; hence, you will be required to achieve good scores in IELTS or TOEFL.
Application Procedure for Admission in MBBS in USA
The admission process to get in any medical institution in USA have following steps:
- You will be required to clear MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) for admission in medical college in US. MCAT is 4 – 5 hours long computer based exam, which is designed to assess your knowledge of science, reasoning and writing. You can attempt this exam as many times you want to as it is a difficult exam, therefore students are given multiple chances. However, there are four exams in one year, therefore, you can attempt four times in one year.
Study MBBS in USA with Best Scholarship Opportunity
- Once you clear MCAT, now you have to fill in the admission form. Majority of the medical colleges in USA encourage students to apply through AMCAS (American Medical College Application System).
- You can directly apply or choose this portal for sending your filled application to as many universities where you want to get admission. Applying to many institutions is always recommended because in USA, the intake of international students in medicine is comparatively low.
- Arrange letter of recommendation, which is required to be presented along admission application.
Duration of studies and Career Opportunities for MBBS (MD) graduates in USA
If you want to practice in USA, you will be required to complete your residency program (PG level) after MBBS (MD) degree. However, if you want to go back to your home country to start your career, then you are not required to complete your residency program.
USA medical degree is very much in demand all across the world and it ensures even international student a bright career in USA government departments and private hospitals.
Top 10 Medical Colleges and Universities for MBBS in USA
We have listed down 10 best universities in USA, which offer MBBS (MD) program, and these are being ranked as best by QS ranking 2020:
- Harvard Medical School
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Stanford University School of Medicine
- Washington University School of Medicine
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Yale University
- New York University School of Medicine
- University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of California, San Diego
Different universities have different fee structures and like every country, medical studies in USA are expensive compared to other degrees.
The annual cost ranges between $14,000 to $62,000 and this depends on university where you will study. The MBBS (MD) degree duration is between 4.5 to 6 years, and additional 1-year mandatory house-job (internship)
Scholarships for International Students in MBBS (MD) program
In USA, at the time of admission you will be required to show enough finances to prove that you can afford your studies as well as living expense, if you get admission. However, there are special scholarship programs, on which international students can apply.
Every year, over 1000 international students avail different scholarships in medical studies, which is approximately $ 2 million in financial terms. Due to less number of scholarships in MBBS (MD) program, the competition even tougher in USA. Here is a list of most renowned scholarships in USA:
- Harvard University – Harvard Medical School provides financial assistance to needy students who could not manage to arrange sufficient funds to finance their studies.
- John Hopkins University – Johns Hopkins Hospital offers plethora of scholarships for USA residents and international students in order to get admission in medical studies. There are donors like American medical association, Baltimore City Medical Society, Maryland Graduate and Professional Scholarship, Howard G. Lapsley Memorial Scholarship and few more.
- Duke University School – Duke Medical School has limited funding program and depends on number of applications received. You need to reapply every year to get this scholarship as it is given on yearly basis only. Also newly admitted students can apply for their scholarship.
- Yale University – Yale University Medical College has a need based scholarship and gives equal opportunity to international students just like US citizens.
- The University Of Arizona – College of Medicine provides various grants, loans and scholarships. Most of these scholarships are federal student aid and these can be applied through FAFSA site.
Are you a right candidate for medical degree in USA!
Studying MBBS (MD) in USA is every student dream; therefore, students work hard until 12th standard to ensure good percentages in their academics.
Although, keep in mind that getting admission in medical college would not be the end of your struggle, as this will be followed by more tough times. Medical studies consist of continuous struggles like difficult exams every year, tough to memorize so many things and at the end residential program qualification after course completion. In short, MBBS (MD) qualification is not everyone’s cup of tea in USA.
However, if you have the real passion and you love to accept challenges with consistency while having a strong financial background, then you certainly are a right candidate.