Back pain is known as one of the common reasons for pain in the Pakistani population. It is one of the leading reasons for disability all around the world particularly Pakistan. There are various options for back pain treatment which aids in relieving or preventing such conditions.
SYMPTOMS OF BACK PAIN:
The most common symptoms of back pain include:
- Stabbing or shooting pain
- Muscle ache
- Radiating pain towards the legs
- Pain that aggravates on standing, walking, lifting or bending
- Improvement in pain when you recline
- Weight loss
- Swelling or inflammation of the back
- Constant back pain
- Pain that radiates below the knees
- Traumatic injury or fall to your back
- Numbness felt over the buttocks, anus or genitals
- Fecal incontinence
- Urinary incontinence
BACK PAIN-SYMPTOMS AND CAUSES
CAUSES OF BACK PAIN:
Back pain which is acute that lasts for 6 weeks or chronic that lasts for more than 2-3 months. Acute back pain more commonly occurs due to heavy lifting or falls. For back pain treatment, most of the doctors identify the cause of back pain with the help of imaging tests. Conditions linked with back pain are the following:
LIGAMENT OR MUSCLE STRAIN:
The sudden shift in movements and repeated lifting of heavy objects can result in muscle strain or spinal ligaments. When the patient is suffering from certain physical conditions, straining over the back constantly can result in muscle spasms. Common causes of muscle or ligament strain include muscle tension, muscle spasm, back injuries, falls, and fractures or damaged disks.
It is a condition during which the spine curves over the side leading to scoliosis. The skeletal irregularities can result in back pain.
Osteoarthritis results in lower back pain where it can affect spine leading to narrowing of the surrounding space around the spinal cord known as spinal stenosis. Arthritis affects the hip joints, lower back joints and others leading to severe pain.
The pain of sharp intensity that travels throughout the buttocks and down towards the legs. It results in herniated or bulging discs which result in compression of nerves.
Kidney infections or kidney stones can also result in lower back pain.
Back pain can also occur due to certain awkward postures or movements such as:
- Coughing, twisting, sneezing, over-stretching, muscle tension, bending for long periods, pulling, pushing, lifting or others
- Long driving routes
- Lying down over a mattress without any spinal support
Osteoporosis can result in brittle and porous bones which can ultimately result in compression fractures of the spinal vertebrae.
RUPTURED DISKS OR BULGING DISKS:
Discs serve as the cushioning effect for the vertebrae within the spine. Discs have soft material which can rupture or bulge pressing over the spinal nerves. The rupture or bulging discs can result in non-painful or painful condition depending on the pressure over the nerves. Disc disorder is usually assessed with the help of spinal X-rays.
Other causes that can result in back pain include:
Cauda equine syndrome, spinal cancer, spinal infections, other infections within the body, sleep disorders, shingles, etc.
RISK FACTORS FOR BACK PAIN:
Other risk factors for back pain include:
- Increase in age
- Excess weight
- Extra stress over the back
- Lack of exercise which results in unused and weak muscles of your back along with the abdomen
- Diseases like cancers or arthritis leading to back pain
- Psychological conditions like anxiety and depression can result in back pain
- Improper lifting of heavy objects with back rather than legs leading to back pain
- Smoking can result in improper blood flow towards the lower back. This prevents your body against the absorption of nutrients. Smoking can result in improper healing of the back pain.
Lower back pain is more commonly seen in women than in men due to the hormonal imbalance, anxiety, stress and mood disorders.
PREVENTION OF BACK PAIN:
You can avoid back pain by learning proper back postures and improving the back conditions:
- Building the muscle strength of the back by performing back and abdominal muscles. Flexibility within the upper legs or hips improves the alignment of the pelvic bones and makes your back healthy.
- Aerobic activities like low-impact ones can enhance the endurance and strength of your back. It improves the functioning of the muscles. You can also perform swimming and walking in order to avoid strain over the back muscles.
- Avoid being overweight so that there is no strain over the back muscles.
- Try quitting smoking which improves the blood flow towards the back.
- Stand smartly, avoid slouching. Maintain your neutral posture while standing to avoid load over your back.
LOWER BACK PAIN TREATMENT OPTIONS:
There are three different modes of lower back pain treatment:
Home remedies and rest work well for treating lower back pain. However, in serious conditions, you need to choose medical treatment options. Over the counter, pain-relieving medicines like NSAIDs are the perfect option for lower back pain treatment. Ice packs and hot compresses also help in reducing back pain.
If NSAID’s are not effective in treating back pain, you need prescription drugs like hydrocodone and codeine or antidepressants like amitriptyline. Physical therapy also works well as the lower back pain treatment option where heat, ice, electronic and ultrasonic waves are used to alleviate the back pain. Botulism toxin is another method to alleviate back pain. Cortisone injections are anti-inflammatory drugs that are also effective in reducing back pain.
Complementary therapies along with home and medical treatment options also help in reducing back pain. These therapies include osteopathy, chiropractic, acupuncture or shiatsu.
WHY CHOOSE BIOFLEX LASER THERAPY FOR BACK PAIN?
Bio flex is an advanced type of laser treatment which delivers LILT i.e. low-intensity laser therapy. It is beneficial and aids in repairing the local tissues along with it enhances the healing process. Bio flex lasers are highly effective in treating conditions like back pain associated with fibromyalgia, arthritis, degenerative disc disease, herniated discs, and others. The advantages of bio-flex laser therapy include cost-effectiveness, easy application, non-toxic and non-invasive mode of treatment.